Cork City Centre September Newsletter
A monthly newsletter updating the businesses and people of Cork about the events and activities happening in our wonderful city centre
The Cork City Centre Fashion Festival, produced by Lockdown Events and supported by Cork City Council, will take place on September 7th/8th. An exciting fashion show will take place in City Hall on the Friday night and Saturday, September 8th will see a large scale fashion trail across the city centre, which will be officially opened by Brendan Courtney. There will be a host of fun and stylish events throughout the day at participating department stores and independent boutiques around the city centre such as demonstrations, fashion clinics, DJ’s and much more. Events are open to all and free to attend.
For more information see: https://corkcitycentre.ie/corkfashionfestival/
A new one minute video promoting Cork City Centre, produced by Stevie G, is now showing in cinemas across the city and county. The video will be seen by up to 270,000 people over the next two months and is also being promoted digitally. It forms the next element of the overall city centre marketing campaign called “Discover the Island – Cork City Centre”.
The campaign is supported by Transport for Ireland and involves multi-platform advertising across radio, cinema, print media, billboards, bus shelters and digital advertising. Lord Mayor, Cllr. Mick Finn, said ‘This video is a great production and really showcases the unique offering of the city centre, across retail and leisure.’
To view the video click here
Since Thursday, August 9, private cars and trucks have been re-routed away from St Patrick’s Street between 3.00pm and 6.30pm.
During this 3.5 hour period, access to St. Patrick’s St is limited to buses, taxis, emergency vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists.
The re-introduction of the bus priority corridor is accompanied by a series of ‘ Super 7’ measures to improve and encourage access to the city centre:
- Bus Éireann has reduced bus fares in Cork’s Red Urban Zone to just €1 after 2pm every day with a Leap Card from August 9th to September 15
- The Park And Ride service has been extended with additional stops at Merchants Quay, St Patrick’s St, Grand Parade and South Mall to improve connectivity between the Park and Ride and city centre.
- A network of 26 free 15-minute set down parking spaces has been established on South Mall, Grand Parade, Parnell Place, Drawbridge & Cornmarket St to facilitate shoppers and visitors.
- From August 9, half price parking is being offered at Paul Street and North Main Street Car Parks from 1pm to 6.30pm.
- The opening hours of the city’s Park And Ride service will be extended to between 7am and 8pm.
- The Park And Ride will be free of charge from 12 noon
- Passengers on the northbound 203 and 215 buses will also be stopping on St. Patrick’s St. for the first time.
PARK(ing) Day is an annual worldwide event where parking spaces are transformed into temporary parklets. It takes place on Friday, September 21st and a number of businesses in the South Mall, the Victorian Quarter and Douglas Street are participating this year.
Cork’s PARK(ing) Day is promoted by the Transport & Mobility Forum so on Friday 21st September look out for some parklets on the streets of Cork.
From dancing, live music, theatre and film to art exhibitions, crafts and street performance, Cork is a city steeped in culture and talent.
With such a wealth of inspirational and historical resources on our doorstep, Cork City Council presents Cork Culture Night 2018, a city-wide event that will take place on Friday 21st September to showcase the vast cultural spectrum that exists in our beautiful city.
Click here for this year’s programme of events
The search is on for Cork’s best designed and maintained buildings. Cork Business Association (CBA), in association with Cork City Council, have launched the Cork Better Building Awards 2018. The categories for the awards are:
- Best in Retail
- Best in Heritage & Conservation
- Best Café/Restaurant
- Best Pub Front
- Best Commercial Business Frontage (excl. retail)
- Best Tourism, Arts & Accommodation
- Best New Development
- There will also be a Judges Choice
Entry forms can be found here http://corkbusiness.ie/cork-better-building-awards-2018/
Cork Women’s Mini Marathon will take place on Sunday, September 16, 2018. Almost 8,000 women (and some men!) will make their way to Cork City to participate and fund-raise for their chosen charity.
The 2018 race will be run over six kilometres, starting on the Centre Park Road at 1pm and taking in The Marina, Blackrock Village, Ballintemple, Maryville, Monahan Road and finishing in Kennedy Park.
For further information visit their website here
Cork City Centre has made it to the Top 10 of the Royal Town Planning Institute’s search for ‘Ireland’s Best Place’ and we need YOUR help to secure the spot as the best!
Voting is now open and will run until Friday 12 October.
There are three easy ways to vote:
1. Submit your vote online.<https://www.rtpi.org.uk/Irelandbestplaces>
2. Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Tweet your vote for your chosen place and use #RTPIIrelandsBestPlaces
Pitch’d Circus Arts festival returns on Sept 21-23 and 28-30 and is all about showcasing what circus is, what it could be, and what Cork can offer the world.
There will be live shows, engaging street performances and fun workshops for everyone, from curious beginners to seasoned performers.
Further details here: http://pitchdfestival.
Cork Discovers is a series of FREE and exciting interactive events celebrating research for all ages. Join Cork Discovers on 28 September to explore topics ranging from Archaeology to Zoology, and learn how research impacts on your daily life.
For more information as well as the programme, visit www.CorkDiscovers.org or find them on social media @CorkDiscovers.
The Douglas Street Business Association, with the support of Cork City Council, are hosting their second Autumnfest on Sunday, Autumn 30th.
There will be circus performers, music, food, walks and much more as the street is closed off to create a carnival like atmosphere!
Keep an eye out on https://www.facebook.com/